Leonard’s Bakery (or their sister food truck) is a must-eat in Honolulu. I always make it a point to get their fresh malasadas. Thankfully my first Airbnb there this time was only a 10min walk away from their brick and mortar location. If you go early enough, there isn’t too much of a wait, especially during the off-tourist season. I love the custard malasada but anything with li hing mui is also good too (personal choice of course).
- comes out piping hot and fresh
- huge portion for light eaters
- multiple flavor options
- can get it filled or not filled
- two locations!!
- messy: it’s rolled in granulated sugar so recommendations are to eat it on the roadside and not in your car
- the birds will come after you for this. If you’re scared of birds like I am, you will be running as you are eating this.
These do not keep well, so if you’re in the Honolulu/Waikiki area or are making your way east to Hanauma Bay, just grab what you can eat and come back again. I still haven’t found a good way of keeping these (tried the freezer and then baking, didn’t work). Well worth the wait even if there is a short line. Like I said, I always come back, and this is my fourth time to the islands!
Brick and Mortar Location:
933 Kapahulu Ave Honolulu, HI 96816 | (808) 737-5591 | leonardshawaii.com
7190 Kalanianaole Hwy Honolulu, HI 96825 | leonardshawaii.com/home
Definitely try them, I promise you won’t regret it!