Da Kitchen Express: Kihei, Maui, HI, USA
I came here after snorkeling and saw my first sea turtle during my trip out to Maui last week. I was starving but the portion sizes at this place did more than nip that in the bud! Thankfully, the server at the counter advised me not to go for the full-on plate, and I went for the katsu sandwich with fried spam musubi instead:
Katsu Sandwich Plate (served with homestyle Hawaiian Mac salad)
– fantastic quantity: two large pieces of pork katsu served on a warm soft bun with lettuce and tomato
– came out hot but not oily
– katsu was crispy
– bread was not soggy even with the vegetables on top
– mac salad: not overly eggy or dressed with too much mayonaise
– more sauce! This was slightly on the dry side.
Fried Spam Musubi: breaded then fried
– great quantity of spam musubi: was not just one or two pieces but a huge roll sliced into four thick slices.
– not oily but very crispy and deep fried (not healthy!)
– well proportioned rice-to-spam ratio
– slightly over-sauced on some pieces: I realize that the spam is fried in a teriyaki soy glaze but it’s so salty that sometimes too much sauce leads to an off-balance with the rice.
– must be eaten right away or the breading becomes somewhat ‘soggy’
I would definitely come here again! It definitely beats the post-snorkel/post-surf hunger. Seating is first come first serve with large tables and chairs situated next door. I wish I had room for dessert though, the haupia chocolate pie looked great! You can find them here: (in Rainbow Mall)
2439 S Kihei Rd
Kihei, HI 96753