The Grove: Hayes Valley, San Francisco, CA, USA
When plans go wrong, you make do and then you get a surprise! I came here with a friend after our initial ramen spot had a 45min wait. This is first-come first-serve with the seating so thankfully we were able to score a table during the dinner rush. One of the things that I had to try was their chicken pot pie. Coming from the south, this was one of my favorite things to eat as a kid, and it’s been ages since I last had one. My friend ordered the grilled cheese combo (which I can’t review since I didn’t eat it) and we split the bacon-wrapped dates.
Bacon Wrapped Dates
– good amount to share, four per plate so it splits evenly between two people
– not over cooked: bacon wasn’t too hard
– the sweet jam that it came with was a nice touch although not quite needed because dates themselves are pretty sweet to begin with.
– none really. It’s difficult to screw up this dish.
Chicken Pot Pie
– FANTASTIC amount, especially for a small eater like myself.
– crust was perfect: crispy, bready, filling, warm — I love cracking parts of the crust into the chicken gravy
– not overly salty
– good amount of chicken and vegetables
– good amount of greens
– well dressed
– not much other salad things like tomatoes, onions, or croutons
– could use slightly more dressing, but it was ordered to go with the chicken pot pie and lighten up the meal so it achieved that goal.
I would definitely come back here again, if not for the chicken pot pie. Our food came out relatively quick, and the servers were attentive. I wish I had room for dessert as the carrot cake looked appealing. Well worth a change in plans! In summary:
- Bacon-wrapped Dates: ***.65 (3.65 stars)
- Chicken pot pie: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- Side Salad: ***.65 (3.65 stars)
You can find them in Hayes Valley here:301 Hayes St
San Francisco, CA 94102
b/t Gough St & Franklin St
Let me know what you think!