Souvla: Hayes Valley, San Francisco, CA, USA
This is a great little spot in Hayes Valley for some Greek food and Greek yoghurt soft serve. If you get your order to-go, it comes even quicker. Seating can be a bit difficult depending on the time of day as it is a smaller venue. It isn’t “authentic” Greek-greek as some of my native friends would say, but I still consider the cuisine Greek enough. Things that we tried included the following:
– fantastic quantity: actually couldn’t finish it (for a salad!) and had to take some of it home.
– good amount of dressing: tip – you can always ask for dressing on the side if you’re afraid it will be overdressed.
– nice portion of meat to vegetable ratio
– good quality to share
– not overly greasy
– standard fries, not shoestring and not steak fries
– crispy outside and soft inside, not soggy
– these get cold pretty quickly unless you’re sitting indoors so I would recommend eating them fast
– could use a little bit more cheese topping
Greek Yoghurt with the cherry topping
– great quantity: almost had a hard time finishing this but the topping was AMAZING. Definitely get the baklava as well on top!
– healthy! YAY! protein and a dessert all in one.
– melts really quick in the sun so don’t go sit in that Hayes Valley square unless you eat fast.
I’d totally come and eat here again. This was on the recommendation of a friend when I was just swinging through and I definitely appreciate the note! In summary:
- Lamb salad: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- Greek Fries: ***.65 (3.65 stars)
- Greek Yoghurt with cherry topping: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
Parking in Hayes Valley (like all of SF) is a chore so use public transportation. It’s a quick 12min walk from Civic Center BART stop and for all the Californians out there, the weather is way too nice almost all the time as claimed to not walk haha. You can find them here:517 Hayes St
San Francisco, CA 94102
b/t Octavia St & Laguna St
Let me know what you think!