Farmhouse Kitchen Thai: Mission district, San Francisco, CA, USA
This place probably had the best Thai food that I’ve found in San Francisco. This is coming from someone who lived within walking distance of quite a number of decent Thai restaurants in the city too. We came here after we got shafted from a supposed lunch omakase at a nearby sushi restaurant, and thankfully this place did not disappoint! The things we tried included:
Chicken and Waffles:
– great quantity, definitely enough to share and take some home if you get other dishes
– good balance between chicken and waffles
– chicken was not too greasy
– curry/dipping sauce had great flavor: it’s good to put it on the side because it allows the patron to dip or pour as much of it as they would like.
– also comes with a side of rice so get your carbs on!
– breading on some chicken pieces were a bit too heavy: it’s not your standard “fried chicken” (see picture)
Papaya Salad: definitely one of the dishes that I use to gauge how good a Thai restaurant is.
– fantastic quantity: I was almost 1/3 full just by nibbling on this before our main orders came out
– good balance between all the ingredients: I am a fan of the sliced grape tomatoes
– a bit on the tart end but nothing that I would say is a true con
Pad See Ew (Thai Street Food): their meat options for this section on their menu is AMAZING. I ordered this with the house crispy pork belly and that’s what sold me on giving this 5 stars.
– great quantity: definitely shareable
– not mushy noodles: it’s hard to do fried rice-noodles without overcooking the noodles or having them break apart on you. These are perfectly done!
– CRISPY PORK BELLY IS GOLD: this literally made the dish. My friend also agreed hands down.
– well balanced in flavor and not super greasy
I also ordered the typical Thai Iced Tea – it was super nice how it came with a perfect ice ball on top. Service was 100% on top, never had to ask for a refill and only for the check. I would definitely come back here again. They also have a secondary location in Oakland and for you Oregon people, they have one in Portland as well. All in all a summary:
- chicken and waffles: ****.85 (3.85 stars)
- papaya salad: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
- pad see ew with crispy pork belly: **** (4 stars)
You can find them in their SF location here:710 Florida St
San Francisco, CA 94110
b/t 19th St & 20th St
I highly recommend coming here either towards the early or later end of the lunch hour. At some point, I hope to come here to try their dinner menu. Definitely the Thai to beat in San Francisco!