Kono’s: Haleiwa (North Shore), Oahu, HI, USA
Having lived in SF within walking distance of the Mission, I was really excited to try one of Kono’s famous bomber burritos. Each bomber burrito comes with eggs, potatos, jack and cheddar cheese blend with specific fillings depending on which burrito you order. I decided to go for the Chun’s bomber burrito with kahlua pork and bacon! I also ordered gravy on the side as well.
– great quantity, large in size and definitely shareable with two people if you’re a small eater or if you wanted to try two different types of burritos and split into half
– good flavor
– meat was not dry and fell apart in my mouth (I’ve had some super dry kahlua pork before but Kono’s is a 12-hour cooked pork!)
– cooked to order and came out nice and hot!
– gravy was nice and thick but not congealed.
– could use a little more filler (see picture) compared to the ones that are literally busting as soon as you cut it open in San Francisco’s Mission district
This was definitely one of the best “breakfast” burritos that I’ve ever had. It was to the point where I really wanted to come back but it was my last day on the island.
Summary rating: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
You can find them on the North Shore of the island here:66-250 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa, HI 96712
I am definitely looking forward to coming here the next time I make a vacation to the north shore of the island.