Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin: Waikiki, Honolulu, HI, USA
Tonkatsu is not my favorite Japanese dish, but when I do eat it, it means that it’s ridiculously good. I came here per recommendations from two friends who had moved here to Honolulu and whose sister was a Yelp Elite (so she should definitely know!). I have to admit, this was probably the best tonkatsu that I have ever had, beating out what I felt was #1 found in Los Angeles.
I got their standard tonkatsu (to compare) standards. Thankfully I also ordered a side of curry to dip my katsu in. Their curry was by far one of the best that I’ve had as well.
– juicy, not dry or overcooked
– crispy breading that wasn’t too oily
– curry was good consistency, not too watery and not overwhelming in spice or flavor
– dipping sauce is on point: requires hand crushing sesame seeds with a mortar and pestle (I like this as it is similar to coffee: the freshest coffee is with freshly if not immediately ground, freshly roasted coffee beans)
– like any good restaurant that has acquired fame, the waiting list can be quite long. However, it’s definitely well worth it.
– can be overpriced if you think about what it is, but it is well executed and the service is on point.
I would definitely come back here. In fact, on a second trip, I did come back and ordered the special katsu (thicker cut). Same consistency, just as juicy and delicious.
Summary: ****.85 (4.85 stars)
You can find them here in a small restaurant near Waikiki:Outrigger Regency Beachwalk
255 Beach Walk
Honolulu, HI 96815
Let me know what you think!