Sam’s Chowder House: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
I took a friend here who was dying for some good seafood after hearing about this as a personal recommendation from another friend in San Mateo. We timed our trip down from SF to get there right when it opened and so there was a minimal wait time. Parking was a little bit difficult as it is a small lot but we managed to find one fairly quickly. The view is awesome. The things we tried included:
Lobster Roll: cold dressed (with mayo) and served with slaw and with chips.
– huge amount of lobster: they are definitely generous with their seafood
– not overly dressed: too much mayo can make the bread soggy and detract from the lobster flavor
– not too salty
– slaw was a nice combination to lighten the plate
– chips were also a nice addition to add a little more salt and texture via crunchiness, great quantity as well.
– none unless you prefer the warm style dressed in only butter and a hot roll.
Lobster Bisque: tomato based cream soup.
– large quantity
– not overly salty
– not quite a large amount of seafood: my guess is that they saved it for the roll LOL.
Clam Chowder: Boston style with white cream
– good flavor, not overly salty either
– good amount of potato and not ridiculously creamy
– could have a little bit more clam and onion but not bad.
I would definitely come back again for the lobster roll. I don’t think I would get either one of the soups though. The view of the water was absolutely beautiful but it does get a bit chilly with the wind. There are heat lamps out which do help somewhat. Service was spot on but again, there weren’t too many people at the restaurant at the time. I highly recommend. You can find them about 30min outside of San Francisco here:4210 N Cabrillo Hwy
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
It is definitely worth the drive out!