Dumpling Kitchen: Inner Sunset, San Francisco, CA
My friend and I were both craving something warm and soup dumplings just seemed to hit the spot. To our pleasant surprise, they also had fresh soybean milk, and Taiwanese/Shanghainese delicacies such as the fried donut crueller, fried dumpings scallion pancakes, and more. However, since we were craving dumplings we ordered the soup dumplings, green beans, donut cruellers, and soymilk. It was probably slightly overboard haha.
Fried donut Crueller (油 條)
– hot, fresh, not too oily surprisingly
– great quantity
– FRESH MADE! I haven’t had this taste in years, basically when my mum used to make it when we were growing up.
– not overly sweet, but can also get a salty version
– good quantity, not just some small sized cup but a nice big glass sized. I could sip on this all winter long.
Soup Dumplings (regular pork ones – they have crab ones too)
– came out hot (steaming)
– decent quantity for the price actually
– not much soup inside. Super sad at this.
– great quantity
– good flavor, not overly salty
– actually less oily than most other places’ green beans but also the beans weren’t ridiculously wrinkled – I think this means that it wasn’t sitting in oil for that long either.
– not really a con but it was oily hahaha.
Man I really like this place. I’d definitely come back for the soymilk and then to also try the scallion pancakes as well as the crab soup dumplings. The one thing that was a bit of a turnoff was the cash-or-debit only rule. Luckily I had enough cash on me and that I had seen this on YELP prior to coming here. We will be coming back again, and maybe just to get a gallon of soymilk! All in all, a summary:
- donut crueller: **** (4 stars)
- soymilk: **** (4 stars)
- soup dumplings: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
- green beans: ***.65 (3.65 stars)
You can find them here:1935 Taraval St
San Francisco, CA 94116
b/t 30th Ave & 29th Ave
Surprising to not find amazing blow-me-away Chinese food here in SF considering the demographics. Still not going to give up though!