Mr. Holmes Bakehouse: Lower Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
This bakery came highly recommended by a friend as it was about a two block walk from my apartment. After reviewing it on Yelp, I was convinced to make it and try a cruffin. Thank goodness I got two things to try:
Grapefruit Ginger Cruffin
– super crispy and yet fluffy croissant dough
– not overly sweet crust
– not overly oily
– good sized portion for the price
– way too sweet: I’m not sure if the filling was too sweet or there was just too much filling compared to pastry but I ended up chucking a portion of the dough with a large amount of filling because I felt like I was getting diabetes.
Bacon-Bleu Cheese Pastry
– super light and not oily pastry
– not overly heavy
– not overly flavorful: nice balance between the cheese and bacon and I believe there were onion bits in there
– great savory bite, not overly filling but not too light
– none. This actually was the one saving grace because the cruffin was a big disappointment.
I might have just gotten a bad flavored cruffin. Perhaps the other flavors are better. I do plan on going back and trying their other baked goods, especially their croissants. All in all, here are my current standings:
- ginger grapefruit cruffin: **.75 (2.75 stars)
- bacon blu-cheese pastry: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
You can find them in the Lower Nob Hill (or Tenderknob) area:1042 Larkin St
San Francisco, CA 94109
b/t Post St & Hemlock St
Lower Nob Hill
Let me know if you’re in the area, I’ll definitely meet up!