Summer Memory Station: Duluth, GA, USA
This little dessert-cafe place is actually in its soft opening, but I have to admit, we still tried everything (or almost everything) on the menu. I’m just going to cut right down to it. The things that we tried included:
- durian mille crepe cake
- mango mille crepe cake
- green tea mille crepe cake
- strawberry mochi
- durian mochi
- fried milk
For all of you who haven’t tried durian, it is a fruit native to southeast Asia. It has the reputation of smelling like high heavens but let me tell you this: as someone who has eaten Icelandic fermented shark, this is nothing. You have to hold your nose while you try your first bite of durian. And when you have accustomed yourself to the taste, only then will you enjoy it with the smell. For those of us (myself included), we don’t mind it at all. For your newcomers though, it’s always worth a try (just like fermented shark!).
For those of you who are wondering, a mille crepe is a french pastry where thousand layers of crepe are layered on top of each other with a very light fresh cream in between each layer. It is light, it is filling, and it is incredibly difficult to make. However, it is an art. There is a cake boutique in NYC, Lady M, who has an incredible reputation for their matcha mille crepe. I’ve had it, and it’s good. However, Summer Memory Station specifically has placed a sign that says “We are not Lady M, please do not compare.” I understand where they are coming from, but if you are going to take something that someone has made exceedingly exquisite and popular and re-do it, you cannot tell people not to compare. It’s like telling all those artists who draw their renditions of the Mona Lisa not to compare it to the Mona Lisa. Of COURSE they are going to compare them! However, Lady M does NOT have durian flavors, so that in and of itself is one up that Summer Memory Station has.
Durian Mille Crepe
- definitely frozen durian (defrosted) or at least durian flavoring/essence is used in the whipped cream filling. My friend said he could definitely taste it (as he detests the taste of it)
- light and fluffy
- filling for one slice
- cheaper than the mille crepe in NYC: this was $6 but the regular and green tea ones I believe are $4 per slice, almost 50% compared to that of Lady M.
- could use more durian flavor, but this is coming from a southeast asian native.
Green Tea (Matcha) Mille Crepe
- very generous with the matcha topping, more than Lady M possibly
- not very sweet: more matcha flavor
- light and fluffy as well
- could be a little sweeter with the cream because the matcha is really bitter in and of itself
Mango Mille Crepe: served with small chunks of mango bits
- also light and fluffy
- sweetest out of the mille crepes but not super sweet where it isn’t tolerable: do not eat right after tasting the matcha mille crepe, the difference is too stark
- slightly too sweet for a mille crepe
- fresh: the mochi skin is so soft and chewy but not tough
- inside has a slightly sweet cream filling with a fresh strawberry on the inside
- very filling for one person as it comes two per order but it is difficult to share with more than two.
- same fresh mochi skin as the strawberry
- equally filling if not more
- use of defrosted frozen durian in combination with the cream, slightly less sweet than that strawberry mochi
- could use more frozen durian and less cream
Fried Milk: I’m not sure how to describe this as when we asked what this was, they literally said “fried milk”. I want to say that they probably made some kind of dough from evaporated milk and condensed milk as it was in squares, or maybe they froze it into strips and then flash-deep fried them.
- slightly sweet but not overly sweet
- very crispy outside
- must eat immediately or it will get tough on the inside
- very filling and shareable but only with maybe one or two people
- can get pretty oily
One thing I have to say is that the service was horrible. There was no order to how things were done and my friend even had to wait over an hour for his iced cream coffee. That is ridiculous, even for a soft opening. The owners and staff have to have a brief idea of how long it takes to make orders and also what orders can be made faster than others. If you wait to go in order by when each order comes in, you’re going to have a lot of displeased customers. I don’t think I would recommend this place to people until they have worked out these kinks in service.
- durian mille crepe cake: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- mango mille crepe cake: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
- green tea mille crepe cake: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
- strawberry mochi: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- durian mochi: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- fried milk: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
However, if you don’t mind waiting, you can find them here:
Let me know what you think if you brave the wait!