Jang Su Jang: Duluth, GA, USA
This restaurant has been said to have true authentic (or the closest to it) Korean food and a place with the best braised beef rib stew (galbi jjim). That being said, I’ve never had the opportunity to eat here and made it a point to try this place before I left the A. The amount of food served is pretty large so we ordered only two things:
- mungbean pancakes (appetizer)
- spicy “King” beef ribs stew
Mungbean Pancakes: mungbean paste mixed with minced kimchee and green scallions, then fried in a mini patty.
- good quantity (four pieces): great for sharing and we even took two home for my sister.
- came out hot and sizzling (fresh off the plate)
- crispy but not overly oily on the outside, fluffy on the inside
- good flavor: there is enough flavor from the kimchee but there is a dipping sauce that they give you which gives it a little bit more saltiness.
- not healthy (if that’s what you’re going for)
Spicy “King” beef ribs stew (galbi jjim 갈비찜): short ribs braised in a special spicy soy sauce where the meat is falling off the bone. This is cooked with multiple types of vegetables, including carrots, onions, sweet potato, kabocha pumpkin, and sometimes chestnuts.
- fantastic quantity: it is for a minimum of 2 people, but we had enough leftovers for 4 people to eat this dish
- meat was falling off the bone
- all vegetables were not overcooked
- good flavor, not overly salty
- too spicy (for my taste): I’m sure you could tell them to lower the spice level just a little bit.
It was a really filling and delicious meal. The staff were very generous with their side dishes as well, giving us an entire full round of refills. Everyone was really attentive and quick with the service. I totally would come here again the next time I am home. In summary:
- mungbean pancakes (appetizer) : **** (4 stars)
- spicy “King” beef ribs stew : **** (4 stars)
You can find Jang Su Jang in the outskirts of Atlanta in Duluth, GA. It’s totally worth the drive along with many other Korean restaurants in Georgia. Please let me know what you think once you try it!