The Pinewood: Decatur, GA, USA
I found this little gem off Yelp when my old SG leader and good friend wanted to do a girls night to catch up. Downtown Decatur is truly one of my favorite spots. It’s quaint, it’s got great eats, good outdoor sitting venues, and quite a bit of ways for me to drive. And…it’s so worth it. We all ordered different things, but we love each other enough to share a bite or two of each dish. Things that we ordered:
- brussel sprouts (courtesy of Yelp check-in!)
- cheesy grit tots
- chicken and waffles
- cheeseburger, fully dressed with remoulade and tater tots
- burrata cheese raviolis
- great to share, I’d say there were at least 20 pieces of sprouts at least. We had enough to snack on even after the entrees came out as well.
- Good flavors, even balance on the seasoning
- nice char: I happen to like my brussels sprouts a little on the burnt end.
- got a little bit soggy towards the end of the meal. I think this was our fault for not finishing them faster.
Cheesy Grit Tots
- amazing flavor: it’s way better than tater tots! Grits themselves have a bit more liquid consistency so that will retain the cheese flavor since it has less “space” compared to the mini potato squares of a tater tot.
- crispy on the outside, soft and hot on the inside!
- chili aoli dipping sauce went really well with the cheese flavor
- none – I do have a recommendation to eat these fast though. We had a lot of pieces left to munch on throughout the meal, but they got a little bit soft and cold at the end.
Cheeseburger, fully dressed
- vegetables. I know this sounds like blasphemy to all you meat lovers out there (mostly boys) but I like some vegetables in my burger. It doesn’t make it feel so greasy and unhealthy. That makes it sit better and longer in my stomach.
- bun was not sopping in grease like most burgers
- more cheese! I like drippy gooey cheese almost a cheese sauce on the burger
Burrata Cheese Raviolis
- good filling as in, there was filling. I also really love burrata cheese – it’s creamier than ricotta.
- the cheese shavings of pecorino went really well with the milder flavor of the burrata
- barely shareable: definitely smaller sized for an entree
- very simple, almost too clean due to minimal sauce. Some prefer it, I tend to like a little bit more coating the pasta, especially if it’s white wine butter sauce.
Chicken and Waffles
- AMAZING quantity: one of the biggest pieces of chicken that I’ve seen on a chicken & waffles plate
- waffle was nice and fluffy but had a little crisp on the outside
- savory: I happen to be more of a savory person than a sweet person. There is chicken gravy people. GRAVY. I really liked it a lot better than the typical maple syrup truthfully. What might have made the dish better would be to sweeten up the waffle a tad bit more to get that awesome salty-sweet combo.
- none really. I liked it!
All in all, here’s my summary of everything we tasted today:
- brussel sprouts (courtesy of Yelp check-in!): ***.5 (3.5 stars)
- cheesy grit tots: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- chicken and waffles: **** (4 stars)
- cheeseburger, fully dressed with remoulade and tater tots: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- burrata cheese raviolis: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
The Pinewood is located off W. Ponce De Leon in downtown Decatur. It is also a short walk to Jeni’s Ice-cream as well as Butter and Cream ice cream parlor. I do love downtown Decatur. It’s been feeding me very well this year back home in Atlanta.
254 West Ponce de Leon Ave.,Decatur,GA 30030
Reservations can be made via OpenTable. Let me know what you think if you decide to check them out!
© 2015 http://www.rammiegirl.com ©2015 rammiegirl.wordpress.com All Rights Reserved.