Sobban Cafe: Decatur (Atlanta), GA, USA
This little Asian-fusion diner cafe is found off Clairmont Road, near to the Emory University campus in Decatur. My friends have given me mixed reviews, some saying it was just okay, others saying it was great. One thing that was consistent were the wings, so wings I ordered! I did also get the miso kale as well as one pork belly slider. Hey a girl can’t just get one thing off the menu!
Sobban Chicken Wings
- super crispy on the outside but moist on the inside: very true to the korean style of double-frying wings
- sauce was not too spicy, not too sweet but definitely had some heat: would be nice to have some sort of dairy based sauce to go with it though such as ranch or even raita
- pickles were a good assortment to cut the heat as well as to break up the monotony of eating wings.
- none really. It’s hard to find korean-style chicken wings similar to that of the infamous Bonchon Chicken up in DC and NYC.
Pork Belly Bun
- soft and fluffy bun: came out warm even though we were sitting outside
- not the most moist meat but yet not completely dry either. It was just…there.
- too much vegetable: kimchee and green onion. I do like vegetable, but there wasn’t enough balance between the bread, meat, and pickles.
- filling: they were really generous with their portions
- good if you like kale: they cooked them down to the consistency of collard greens. It was definitely a nice twist on southern fare
- way too salty. Miso in and of itself can have a good amount of salt in it. My guess was that they cooked down the kale in salt water and then added miso on top of that.
I can’t say that it was the best meal, but it definitely wasn’t the worse. Would I go there again? I’m not really sure. All in all a summary:
- sobban wings: ***.85 (3.85 stars)
- pork belly bun: ***.35 (3.35 stars)
- miso kale: *** (3 stars)
You can find Sobban cafe on the side of Clairmont Road a little ways past the I-85 exit:
1788 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033
Let me know what you think?
© 2015 http://www.rammiegirl.com ©2015 rammiegirl.wordpress.com All Rights Reserved.