Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot: Doraville, GA, USA
My friend and “food master”, Miss S, wanted to take me to try this new hot pot place. They had a pretty good AYCE hot pot for $19 and threw in snow crab legs (half a crab) during their promotion. I really like hot pot because it’s (seemingly) healthy given that you don’t over eat, fills you up fast but because it’s soup, you don’t feel full for hours on end.
We ordered their 1/2-1/2 soup combo with herbal soup on one side and then their standard spicy soup on the other. Admittedly, the spicy soup definitely has its own flavor to it. It’s very, as the name suggest, “Mongolian” with distinct spices. I want to say that there are peppercorns and Szechuan peppers that contribute not just the spice but the flavor as well.
- not very crowded! We went when they had just opened though and during a weekday so perhaps it wasn’t as bad as it would be on a weekend
- herbal soup was ridiculously tasty. I could drink at least 2 to 3 bowls
- very filling, surprisingly
- fried/non-hotpot foods section: we got soup dumplings (yes soup dumplings!) as well as fried mantou (sweet buns) to go with the soup. This is a LEGIT combination.
- language barrier. You have to understand or speak some Chinese I feel like. Thank goodness I have limited mastery of my own mother tongue.
- did not know about the sauce bar which was randomly placed up front in the middle of the room. Not that the soups weren’t tasty enough, but I think I would have liked to have had sauce.
All in all, I really like this place. I’ll have to compare it to Mini Hot Pot II which is now Little Hot Pot or something or another now that it’s changed owners. Truth be told, when you have a hot pot machine in your house, it’s hard to go OUT for hot pot, but the soup here is worth it. Not to mention, there’s more dessert places on Buford Highway then there are at my house. In summary I’d probably give them: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
If you wanted to find them on your own, they are located in the Quickly Bubble Tea shopping center along with Batavia Indonesian restaurant:
5090 Buford Hwy NE, Ste 104, Atlanta, GA 30340
It’s worth checking out at least once!