Tachibana: McClean, VA, USA
This may not be DC, but it’s definitely accessible by metro and then by Uber. I love Tachibana. Ever since my friend TK took me here 2.5 years ago, I’ve always recommended it for friends looking for good sushi and Japanese cuisine. I definitely had the biggest bill coming here with my two girl friends. Things tried consisted of:
- sushi deluxe plate
- kitsune udon
- shrimp shumai
Sushi Deluxe Plate: an assortment of sushi, not the chef-selected omakase but a nice selection of staple sushi like tuna, uni (sea urchin), fish roe, yellowtail, and so on.
- fresh – Tachibana has yet to serve me some bad sushi
- great selection, good quantity.
Kitsune Udon: sweet fried tofu slices that are supposedly the food of the fox deities served in Japan served with udon. It was cold and rainy that night, and a hot bowl of udon was just perfect for the night.
- good flavor, not overly salty like some places make it
- good quantity – although perhaps not a lot for a hungry eater. This tends to be a lighter udon dish than most.
- I’d like a bit more of the tofu but I feel like this is more along the lines of personal taste rather than an actual criticism.
Shrimp Shumai: my friend ordered this dish. Truthfully, I normally don’t get shumai at a Japanese restaurant because I eat them mostly at dim sum restaurants and tend to like those much better. However these surprised me!
- tasty, not overly seasoned like dim sum shumai can sometimes taste like
- smaller size: I tend to prefer this because the ratio of the wrapper to stuffing is much better
- there were only 5 shumai which makes sharing a bit hard, especially since they are stuffed a little less than dim sum shumai.
All in all, I was super happy with this meal. Definitely check them out – there can be a bit of a wait, and the restaurant does not take reservations greater than four people. However, it is totally worth the wait! In summary:
- sushi deluxe plate: ****(4 stars)
- kitsune udon: ***.75 (3.75 stars)
- shrimp shumai: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
You can find them below at:
6715 Lowell Ave, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 847-1771 | http://tachibana.us/sushi/
We’re almost done with the DC series and then it’ll be posts from Atlanta until my quick trip up to Banff and the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for being devoted readers and hope you have a good week!
© 2015 http://www.rammiegirl.com ©2015 rammiegirl.wordpress.com All Rights Reserved.