Busboys and Poets: Washington, DC, USA
This was the first stop during one of multiple trips to DC in this last month of my life in the mid-Atlantic. It is part of a two-day fest in which my super awesome long-time friend PRo had bought me tickets to the SweetLife Music Festival 2015, with headliners such as Phantogram, Tove Lo, The Weeknd, and closing with Calvin Harris. The plan was for her to drive me back up to B’more the first night, crash at my place, and then we would go back down to Columbia, MD for concert day 2. After meeting her in DC on Saturday, we stopped by Busboys and Poets for a quick bite before heading to the concert grounds.
I have to say, I love the idea behind this food and bookstore establishment. You can get coffee and dessert, or you can get brunch. You can also simply skip the meals and just peruse the small bookstore section as well. I have a weakness for bookstores in general or just books period. This setting combining two of my loves, books and food, just made it all the better. Sadly, I had to get something light because I had just downed a grande Starbucks house coffee before getting to the restaurant. Things tried today was the brie sandwich plate featuring generous amounts of brie, fresh basil, and I believe turkey. This was served with a nice side salad
Brie Sandwich Plate
- very clean eating, minus the brie
- good portion size for moderate eater
- um…bacon. That’s all I need to say.
- could probably use a more flavorful dressing. The one was a vinaigrette but the salad was so herby that it felt like I was just eating the vegetable on its own.
- I would like to have tomato with my sandwich, especially if it’s going to have melted brie on it. Or what would go really well would be some sort of jam, like a pepper jelly. Something slightly sweet to balance out the savoriness of the bacon and the brie would have been nice.
All in all a summary:
- brie sandwich: ***.5 (3.5 stars)
- side salad: **.75 (2.75 stars)
If you wanted to find Busboys and Poets, the best bet would be for you to check out their website as they have multiple locations throughout the city. Their flagship store is at the address below, but feel free to take a gander at whichever one is closest to you!
2021 14th St NW
This series is a quick set on the vast amount of meals consumed in a 1-month period down in our Nation’s Capital. After that, it’ll be back to home base with hopefully new Atlanta restaurants. Thanks for reading!