Paris Baguette : Doraville, GA, USA
This quaint little tiny bakery and cafe is located off Buford Hwy in a very small lot just south of I-285. It is very well decorated and poshy on the inside however. Established and run by Koreans, it doesn’t amaze me that the presentation is simply spectacular. I do wish that for what they are selling, it was more reminiscent of a true Paris bakery though. The decor is definitely more Asian, as in more modern, super clean, and somewhat chic.
The food tends to be more European. There is a lot of puff pastry. I think if I knew how to make puff pastry from scratch, I could probably come up with a homemade concoction of 25% of what is out there. They do have the swiss rolls that I love, including an apricot flavor. I’ll have to buy it one day and actually try it though.
I’ve only been here about two times. The first time was about a month ago, and I bought a small burnt-sugar canele. Thank heavens for custard because this is my new favorite pastry. I have always loved the Asian egg tarts that you can find at Taiwanese bakeries and at dim sum on the little go-karts. However, this may well take its spot with its darkly caramelized cake on the outside. Here is my rating/notes:
- very small, almost bite-size for some people – recommend at least two per serving
- fantastic outer cake layer with that nice burnt sugar caramelization
- custard is done perfectly – not overcooked but not super soft either like the egg tarts: this keeps the cake from becoming soggy I believe.
The second time I came, I met up with two friends. One friend and I split the chocolate lava cake. I can’t say it was the best though:
Chocolate Lava Cake
- microwaved or “toasted” in a toaster oven behind the register: no no no! blasphemy!
- very small for $5
- no “lava” : in other words, the chocolate was not oozing out of the center of the cake like it’s supposed to be
- cake was good though: very soft, fluffy, not too decadent. It’s the reason why I love chocolate cake more than chocolate itself.
All in all, a summary:
- canele: **** (4 stars)
- chocolate lava cake: **.75 (2.75 stars)
If you wanted to check out Paris Baguette, they can be found here:
5252 Buford Hwy NEDoraville, GA 30340 (770) 455-8552 http://www.parisbaguetteusa.com/ParisBaguette/home.asp
Until next time, bon apetit!