Swallow At The Hollow: Roswell, GA, USA
For my birthday lunch celebration two Saturdays ago, I wanted to get something that I normally wouldn’t go eat, and so I decided on southern barbecue. At first I thought about trying somewhere new, like Community BBQ, but then I figured for the majority of people who were attending, it was a bit of a drive to the city and many people had other plans afterwards. Then I thought about Swallow at The Hollow and my craving for fried green tomatoes kicked in.
While my normal go-to dish are southern bbq ribs, this time, I wanted to try something different, something blogworthy haha! My friend Minh did get the ribs and when I saw them, I almost regretted not getting it. However, I believe my pulled pork platter was just as good. I actually split the platter into a 50/50 plate with pulled pork and beef brisket. Well, what they said was brisket. All in all, a quick summary:
- warm, moist with bits of fat in the cuts
- chopped not pulled so less of it in your teeth
- goes perfect w/ House ketchup-based sauce.
- dry to the bone, if there was one on there
- tasteless unless you just want to taste the sauces on the table
The second time here, I also got the mac-n’-cheese as well as the fried green tomatoes. The tomatoes were just as I remembered, firm, warm, crispy on the outside and paired perfectly with ranch dressing. I should have just gotten a basket of those instead. The mac-n’-cheese could have used alittle work:
FGT (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- firm, crispy, perfect
- downside: only 2 slices as a side to a platter. booo.
- paired perfectly with ranch dressing
- too much cream, not enough cheese
- not al-dente pasta
- sufficient quantity, comes out hot though so if you eat it right away, you’ll fool yourself into thinking this is quality M&C
All in all a final summary:
- Pulled Pork/Beef Brisket Platter (meat only): *** (3 stars)
- M&C: ** (2 stars)
- FGT: **** (4 stars)
If you wanted to check out The Swallow for yourself, you can find them here:1072 Green St, Roswell, GA 30075
(678) 352-1975 Enjoy! R/g